Sunday, August 10, 2008

Olympic pipers

The other night while watching the opening ceremonies for the Olympic Games, I was quite surprised to hear a pipe band playing off and on as the athletes paraded into the stadium.

At first I said "they must be there in person" then I thought "it's just a recording" because they were never seen on TV. Poking around the net today looking for results from the Perth, Scotland highland games, where the Keith Highlanders competed today, I came across this story on BBC Scotland about the Mains of Fintry Pipe Band, a Grade 4 band from Dundee, Scotland (home of marmalade). It said they were seen by Chinese officials who saw them on a tour of France and asked to go to Beijing to play. At first they thought it was a practical joke, as would I. Riiiiiight....a Scottish band playing in France, asked to go to China. I think I ate at that restaurant. Just once.

One of the pipers in the band said "never in a million years" would he have thought the band would do something like this.

Never say Never!

Good on ya boys!

1 comment:

Mike (AKA Pops) said...

Good Lord man!
My wife and I were watching the parade on TV. She said she heard pipes (I pipe and she does not) and I told her get a grip on herself, this was China. If she hears of this I'm finished!